Getting Car for DMV Road Test

If you're looking to get your driver's license in the US, you're going to need access to a car that meets DMV requirements. You will also need a licensed driver from your state to accompany you and check-in with you at the DMV or road test site. Here's what you need to know on how to get a car for your driver's license road test.

Getting a car for your driver's license road test

If you're looking to get a car for your road test, you can borrow a car from someone (but you will need someone to go with you), you can go with a driving school, or you can use a road test concierge service like Skip. If you borrow from a friend or family member you'll want to make sure the car meets the road test requirements. For example, in several states the car you use must have a pull-up emergency brake. Lastly, rental cars are not allowed for the road test, even if you have a license from another country. The DMV's will reject you when you try to show them rental car papers, and this includes peer-to-peer rentals too, like Turo or GetAround.

Summary: Borrow a car from a friend or family member, go with a driving school, or go with a road test concierge service like Skip.

Making sure the car is acceptable

If you obtain a car from someone else (friend, family, whomever), there are a few basic requirements you'll need to be aware of:

  • The car must be registered
  • The car must have insurance
  • The car must have license plates
  • The car must meet safety requirements (working brake lights, etc)

These items will be checked before you go on your road test, so make sure you have the necessary documents ahead of time so you don't get turned away. If you don't have a car that meets the requirements, your options are, in some cases, an approved rental car, a friend or family member, or you might want to look into Skip's car and driver road test concierge service. This service is available in all 50 states and is the #1 rated road test car and driver service in the US.

Getting a driver to accompany you

Most states require you to come with a licensed driver in addition to having a valid car. The reason is simple: A permit is not a license, therefore you need someone who does have a license. In California, for example, this person is required to check in with you before your road test and show their valid driver's license.

Some driver training schools offer this as an option along with driver training practice. The cost for this depends on the package but is usually a couple hundred dollars or more. Road test concierge services also include this option — for example, with Skip, the road test concierge will pick you up and you'll get warm-up time before the test and dropped off afterward.

Renting a rental car for your driver's license road test

By and large, renting a car for your road test is not allowed. In some rare cases, you can get special permission from rental car companies. Part of this means that you will have to have special car registration and car insurance document since you'll need to present these at the road test. We don't recommend using a rental car, since it's too much of a wild card, and it's better to look at other options - friend or family member, driving school, or road test concierge services.


🚀 Pro-Tip: Be sure to read the ultimate road test guides for every state which also includes videos. This is the best way to familiarize yourself on what to expect on the road test. Also, if you need a car or driver, Skip's road test concierge service is the #1 trusted road test service in the United States.


More DMV Related Questions?

📌 Visit the Skip page

📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge

📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast

📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)