We all know government services are painful: Navigating bureaucracy can be frustrating, confusing, and time-consuming. YoGov was founded in 2016 to change all of this. YoGov's mission is to be the largest company in the world connecting people with government services in an easy-to-use way.
Founded by Ryder Pearce in 2016, YoGov has started by solving the DMV. YoGov helps answer DMV questions by chat, phone, and email 7 days a week; helps people book appointments and find faster appointments; and helps people directly take and pass their road tests. That's where you come in as a YoGov Concierge Driver.
We're even expanding to more and more services, and will be piloting new concierge services in the coming months, so stay tuned. As an independent company, we want to make it so everyone in the US (and beyond) can have easy access from our apps to the government services they need. Thanks for joining us on our mission! 🚀
Our goal with the DMV concierge service is to make people feel comfortable and confident before their road test and give them the best shot to pass. We help people by picking them up and dropping them off, giving them tips and expert advice ahead of their test, letting them get used to the car and neighborhood, and taking the test in your car. Below is a driving checklist, similar to what the actual DMV testers grade on at the DMV. Please review as well as watch our videos on the test process. These are very helpful!
We're thrilled to introduce our driver mobile app. As an onboarded driver, you'll have access to the app. You'll be able to "Book Trip" under the Open Trips view. After you book, you'll be able to see the full trip details under the Bookings view.
- After you book a trip, look at the trip on the Bookings tab.
- Are there any special instructions from the client? Does the client have extra practice? If the client has extra practice you'll need to coordinate that either on the day of test or before the test. We should try to accommodate client's preferences here, but if you don't think they're reasonable, please message us and we can help out.
- Then message the client.
- It's good to send something like this at least a few days ahead of time or if the trip is tomorrow, as soon as you book: "Hi Clara, my name is Fiona and I'm your YoGov concierge driver for your road test tomorrow! Looking forward to meeting! Just want to verify your pickup time at 9am at your address of 45 Chestnut Road in Sunnyvale, can you confirm? Thanks!"
You get paid every week, typically on Friday, for the previous week's trips. So if you did 7 trips last week valued at $80 each and got $40 in tips, you'd be paid out $600 this Friday. Sometimes pay is delayed to the following Monday or Tuesday due to holidays. If that happens we try to let you know as far in advance as possible.
Lastly, if you've onboarded with Bill.com, our payout system, you're all set. If you haven't gotten the Bill.com link, send us a message on the app.
- Text the client: Once you receive your client details and information, it's a good idea to text the client a day or two before to give them a head's up that you will be there driver for their road test. This helps them relax since many people are nervous or anxious before their test day.
- Pickup client: By default, we tell every client we will pick them up an hour before as part of the service. This is mainly to give them time to get used to your car, as well as allow you to give them some driving tips as they drive around the DMV area on residential and main streets.
- Checkin with client: At the designated appointment time, you'll go in with the client to the DMV to the special "Road Test Appointments" section to check-in. They'll need their permit and you'll need your valid insurance and registration as well as your driver's license.
- Wait with client: You'll then get in the road test line with the client with them behind the wheel. This is a good time to answer any last-minute questions or get to know the client better. People have amazing stories and the human connection goes a long way in showing people how much we care. Once the tester comes, you'll wait while they take their 10-15 minute road test.
- Congratulate or empathize: The news is either good or bad. If they pass, that's amazing! Feel free to show enthusiasm for them or give them a high five. If they fail, try to understand what happened and tell them that it happens all the time (which it does!)
- Drop them back off: Take them home or back to where they want to go within a 20-30 minute area unless previously agreed arrangement was made.
Pro-tip: It's a great idea to message your client on the day of too, to give them a head's up that you're en route and what your estimated arrival time is. Try to account for unexpected traffic, but if for some reason you'll be late, let them know and tell them not to worry, you'll still have plenty of time. You can always check in first and then if you feel the client deserves another few minutes or so of driving around to warm-up, you can do that.
Here are a few common problems that you might want to be aware of. We're always working on finding ways to mitigate these.
- You can't get in touch with client. Sometimes the phone number doesn't work or the client doesn't respond right away. This is why we recommend messaging earlier rather than later and asking them if they can confirm the details. If for some reason, you can't get through, message us. We may need to email the client or call them directly to see what's happening.
- Client doesn't have an appointment. Sometimes this happens... You practice with the client then you go to check in and you find out their isn't actually an appointment for the client or it's a different date or different location. These are rare and we're starting to check ahead of time, but if this does happen, don't worry. It's best to work with the client directly and say that YoGov can help you rebook, and you're not sure what happened. It could be a case that they told us the wrong information or if we booked it, we made a mistake. In any case, you'll be paid for the time you spent with client, pro-rated.
- Your taillight is out. This is a tough one and has happened a couple times. You're not exactly checking your tail light every day. If it is out, the examiner will likely not let your client take the test. If that happens we can apologize, rebook the client for free.
If they fail, empathize with them. It happens quite a bit and is definitely common. There are always surprises or things you can't control, even if the driver was ready and should have passed. It's good to learn what happened (critical error, points) so you can give a few pointers and so you can added into the notes when you mark the trip complete. This helps us and can help you as a reference point for future trips.
Also, mention to them that they can rebook a retake for 10% off if they wish. We can find them an appointment usually within a week, so they shouldn't stress about the timing.
If your client rebooks, you'll get a $20 bonus as well.
We understand things come up, but our goal as a company is to have 100% client reliability and that starts with you.
If you need to change or cancel a trip:
- There's no penalty if your request is more than 48 hours before the trip
- If it's within 48 hours, there's a $25 fee
- If it's within 24 hours, there's a $45 fee & note on your driver partner account
- If it's within 12 hours, there's a $60 fee & a note on your driver partner account
- If it's within 4 hours or a no show, there's a $90 fee plus we temporarily suspend your account until we can connect with you
Again, we're here to work with you and have the best concierge partners around! So if you're unsure please get in touch with us! We are always here to help!
The answer is no. They're similar but there are some variations. We will continue to document important changes here and keep you informed. Here's a summary of differences:
California: No highway driving, only residential and main streets, 10-15 minutes, concierge driver waits at the DMV. No three-point turn and no parallel parking, only reversing in a straight line.
Massachusetts: No highway driving, only residential and main streets, 10-15 minutes, concierge driver stay in the car with examiner and client. There is parallel parking and a three point turn. Also, a visible handbrake is required for the car.
Yes, check out our Helpful Videos tab on the app to see how some of our drivers approach the road test process and learn some of the tips. We highly highly recommend watching the videos. It's the absolute best way to understand the road test service.
Absolutely! This works especially well if you're doing other rideshare driving. Many of your clients are likely people who don't have driver's licenses. We have referral cards you can print. This has worked very well for some folks. Message us in the app to find out more.
Oh my gosh, we definitely want to hear! Please message us and tell us. We thrive off of tips and ideas from our best drivers. If you find out there's a new DMV process, we want to know. Or if you find out a good strategy for a certain DMV or encounter an issue or think there's a better way to educate clients ahead of time, or a better way to design the app, or.... Just get in touch!
Yes we do!
Currently it is the following:
If you do 5 trips in 1 week, you get a $40 bonus for that week!