✅ Updated September 2020
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Washington
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Washington. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Washington but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Washington driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Washington
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, and residency in Washington
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- Payment for required fees
- $35 application fee
- $54 for Class D driver’s license (valid for 6 years)
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Washington
- Step 1: Visit your nearest DOL office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
- Have your photo taken
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 2: Receive your Washington Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within 10 days
Need other Washington DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.