✅ Updated January 2022
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the Washington DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Washington DMV Driver License
You'll need the following documents to get your Washington driver's license:
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, and residency in Washington
- Payment for required fees
- $25 Learner’s Permit fee
- $35 driver’s license application fee
- $54 for Class D driver’s license (valid for 6 years)
Washington DMV Driver License: What You’ll Do
- Step 1: Take online practice exams to prepare for the written test
- Step 2: Begin your application for your Learner’s Permit online via the DOL’s online portal
- Step 3: Visit your nearest DOL office to complete your Learner’s Permit application (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Have your photo taken
- Schedule an appointment to complete the written test
- Submit payment
- Step 4: Visit the appropriate DOL office on the day of your written test
- Pass the written test
- Receive your Learner’s Permit
- Step 5: Practice driving to prepare for the road test
- Step 6: Visit the DOL to take the road test (optional: make an appointment!)
- Pass the road test
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 7: Receive your new Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within 10 days
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Washington Driver License
- Don’t need to practice driving before the road test? Then you don’t need a Learner’s Permit.
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Washington REAL ID [embedded link] page to find out what is required.
More Washington DMV Questions?
📌 Visit our Washington DMV information page
📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge
📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)
❗Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.