So you need transfer your out-of-state driver’s license to Virginia?
What You’ll Need
- Completed Driver’s License and Identification Card Application (Form DL 1P)
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, legal presence in U.S., and residency in Virginia
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- $32 for Class D driver’s license (valid for 8 years)
What You’ll Do
- Step 1: Visit your nearest DMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 2: Receive your Virginia Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Virginia REAL ID [embedded link] page to find out what is required.