✅ Updated October 2020
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Virginia
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Virginia. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Virginia but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Virginia driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Virginia
- Completed Driver’s License and Identification Card Application (Form DL 1P)
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, legal presence in U.S., and residency in Virginia
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- $32 for Class D driver’s license (valid for 8 years)
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Virginia
- Step 1: Visit your nearest DMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 2: Receive your Virginia Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exception in Transferring your Out-of-State Driver License to Virginia
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Virginia REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other Virginia DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.