✅ Updated November 2020
Ultimate guide to Registering your Vehicle in Virginia
Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Virginia. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in Virginia
- Completed Application for Registration (Form VSA 14) OR completed Application for Certificate of Title and Registration (Form VSA 17A) (if vehicle has not previously been titled in Virginia)
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, legal presence in U.S., and residency in Virginia
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- Out-of-state title OR registration card;
- Virginia vehicle title (signed over by seller; including odometer reading and purchase price)
- Proof of Virginia vehicle insurance OR $500 for uninsured motorist fee
- Power of attorney from lienholder (if vehicle is leased)
- Proof of completed safety inspection
- Proof of completed emissions inspection (if applicable)
- Payment for required fees & taxes
- Registration fee (varies based on vehicle weight and length of time)
- $10 title fee
- 4.15% motor vehicle sales and use tax OR proof of sales tax paid out-of-state
- $64 surcharge assessed for electric vehicles
What You’ll Do to Register your Vehicle in Virginia
- Step 1: Apply online for a Trip Permit (valid for 3 days) if you need to drive the vehicle to complete the safety inspection or visit the DMV (optional)
- Step 2: Visit your nearest DMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Submit payment
- Receive your temporary registration, registration stickers, and title plus Virginia license plates
- Step 3: Receive your Viriginia registration card and title via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions in Registering your Vehicle in Virginia
- Check if your vehicle requires an emissions inspection: view the complete Virginia Vehicle Inspection Guide.
Need other Virginia DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.