✅ Updated March 2021

Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Utah

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Utah. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Utah but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Utah driver's license page.


What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Utah

  • Your current out-of-state driver's license
  • Completed Driver License Application (Form DLD6a)
  • Proof of Identity and Legal/Lawful Status Verification
  • Utah Residency/Mailing Verification if different than current Utah Driver License record (must provide two)
  • Social Security Verification
  • Name Change documents (if applicable)


What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Utah

  • Step 1: Visit any Utah Driver License Division Office
    • Your photo will be taken
    • Submit all the required documents
    • Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
    • Pay a nonrefundable fee of $52.00
  • Step 2: Pass the eye (vision) test
  • Step 3: Pass a written knowledge test and driving skills test - one or both may be required
  • Step 4: After all requirements for a driver license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with photo on the same day.  The completed driver license will then be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks


Caveats and Exceptions to Transferring your Driver License to Utah

  • Utah law does not have a grace period in which to change an out-of-state driver's license to a Utah license. It simply requires a resident to have a valid Utah driver's license when driving in Utah

Need a REAL ID?  Then visit our Utah REAL ID page to find out what is required.


Need other Utah DMV help for free?

📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*

*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.


❗Pro-tip:  YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.