Updated March 2021
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Utah
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Utah. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Utah but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Utah driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Utah
- Your current out-of-state driver's license
- Completed Driver License Application (Form DLD6a)
- Proof of Identity and Legal/Lawful Status Verification
- Utah Residency/Mailing Verification if different than current Utah Driver License record (must provide two)
- Social Security Verification
- Name Change documents (if applicable)
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Utah
- Step 1: Visit any Utah Driver License Division Office
- Your photo will be taken
- Submit all the required documents
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
- Pay a nonrefundable fee of $52.00
- Step 2: Pass the eye (vision) test
- Step 3: Pass a written knowledge test and driving skills test - one or both may be required
- Step 4: After all requirements for a driver license have been successfully completed, you will receive a temporary license with photo on the same day. The completed driver license will then be mailed to you in approximately 8-10 weeks
Caveats and Exceptions to Transferring your Driver License to Utah
- Utah law does not have a grace period in which to change an out-of-state driver's license to a Utah license. It simply requires a resident to have a valid Utah driver's license when driving in Utah
Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Utah REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other Utah DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.