Ultimate Guide to Transferring a Vehicle Title in Texas
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring a vehicle title in Texas. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Texas
Completed Application for Texas Title (Form 130-U) (with seller’s signature)
Vehicle title, signed by seller and including:
- Odometer disclosure statement (for vehicles <10 years old)
- Sale price of vehicle
Out-of-state vehicle title and registration (if applicable)
Proof of Texas vehicle insurance
Certificate of vehicle safety inspection (Vehicle Inspection Report; may be available from seller)
Certificate of Inspection for emissions testing (if applicable)
Release of lien and/or power of attorney (if applicable)
- Payment for title transfer fees (fees vary by county)
- Payment for 6.25% sales tax (assessed higher value of purchase price OR standard presumptive value of vehicle) OR proof of paid sales tax (if vehicle was purchased out-of-state)
- Local, county, and other fees
- Vehicle inspection fee (paid directly to DMV, in addition to fee assessed by inspection station)
Vehicle Transit Permit (optional; nice to have if you purchased the vehicle via private sale on a weekend day)
What You’ll Do to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Texas
- Step 1: Visit your nearest County Tax Office, preferably with the seller
- Provide required documents and identification
- Submit the applicable payment
- Receive a temporary vehicle title
- Step 2: Receive a permanent title for your vehicle via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions
Check if you are you required to obtain a Certificate of Inspection for emissions testing: It depends on which county you reside in, and the age and type of your vehicle. Find out here.
Need other Texas DMV help?
We're here to help! Email us at [email protected] if you have questions we haven't answered here!
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip.