Updated January 2022

We have updated this page to reflect Covid-19 changes on our Skip site. Click HERE to get the most up-to-date information.



Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Texas

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Texas. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Texas but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Texas driver's license page.


What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Texas

📌 Application for Driver License or Identification Card (Form DL-14A)

📌 Proof of identity, proof of Social Security number, proof of lawful U.S. presence, and proof of Texas residency

📌 Proof of Texas vehicle registration and vehicle insurance OR a signed affidavit stating that you do not own a vehicle

📌 Out-of-state license

📌 $25 for Class C driver’s license fee

What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Texas

  • Step 1: Make an appointment to visit the DMV 
    • Submit the required documents and identification
    • Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
    • Submit $25 payment
    • Receive a temporary driver’s license receipt
  • Step 2: Receive your Texas Class C driver’s license via U.S. mail within 3 weeks



Need other Texas DMV help?

We're here to help! Email us at hello@helloskip.com if you have questions we haven't answered here!

❗Pro-tip:  YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.

📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip.

Download Skip on the App Store

Download Skip on Google Play