Updated September 2020
Ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in Texas
Here's the ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in Texas. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Renew your Texas Driver License
$25 payment for Class C driver’s license renewal fee ($16 if under age 18)
To renew online...
Your Texas driver’s license number
Audit number (found on renewal card)
Access to printer (to print your temporary license)
To renew at the DMV in person…
Completed Application For Renewal/Replacement/Change Of A Texas Driver License or Identification Card (Form DL-43)
Proof of identity, proof of Social Security number, proof of lawful U.S. presence, and proof of Texas residency
Current driver’s license
Verification of Enrollment and Attendance Form (VOE Form), high school diploma, GED, OR recent report card and attendance record (if under age 18)
What You’ll Do to Renew your Texas Driver License
- Step 1: Visit the DMV’s Driver License Renewal and Change of Address website
- Submit the required information
- Submit payment
- Print your temporary driver’s license (cannot be emailed; valid for 45 days)
- Step 2: Receive your renewed Texas Class C driver’s license via U.S. mail in about 3 weeks
Caveats and Exceptions
- You will need to visit the DMV in person to renew your driver’s license if…
- Your last driver’s license renewal not done in person at the DMV
- You are under age 18
- You have you not yet verified your U.S. citizenship or legal U.S. presence with the DMV
- You are not a U.S. citizen
- Did your license expire more than two years ago? Then you will need to apply for a new driver’s license, including completing the written and road tests.
Need other Texas DMV help?
We're here to help! Email us at [email protected] if you have questions we haven't answered here!
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 30 days free of Skip.