✅ Updated January 2022
Ultimate guide to Registering your Vehicle in Texas
Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Texas. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in Texas
Completed Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Form 130-U) (also used for vehicle registrations)
Proof of identity
Proof of vehicle ownership
Proof of vehicle insurance
Certificate of vehicle safety inspection
Certificate of Inspection for emissions testing (if applicable)
Payment (estimate your total required payment here)
- Registration fees (vary by vehicle type and county)
- State, local, and county fees
- Vehicle inspection fee (paid directly to DMV, in addition to the fee assessed by inspection station)
You can also register your vehicle online here. You will need to provide your drivers' license number and the last four digits of your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
What You’ll Do to Register your Vehicle in Texas
- Step 1: Visit your nearest County Tax Office
- Submit the required documents and identification
- Submit the applicable payment
- Receive new license plates (optional)
- Receive your registration sticker
- Step 2: Affix your registration sticker to the windshield of your vehicle
Caveats and Exceptions
- Check if you are required to obtain a Certificate of Inspection for emissions testing: It depends on which county you reside in, and the age and type of your vehicle. Find out here.
- Did you purchase the vehicle from a dealership? Then the dealer will submit the vehicle’s title and registration applications for you. You will incur titling and registration fees from the dealer directly.
- Did you purchase a new vehicle from a dealership? Then you are eligible to obtain a multi-year registration.
More Texas DMV Questions?
📌 Visit our Texas DMV information page
📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge
📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)