✅ Updated April 2021
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Tennessee
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Tennessee. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Tennessee but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Tennessee driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Tennessee
- Your current license (or certified copy of driving record or other acceptable ID).
- Certified copy of your driving record, known as a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR), must be an original (no photocopies) and issued no more than 30 days prior to your Tennessee application date.
- Proof of name change, such as original certified court order, marriage certificate, or divorce decree. ( If applicable )
- Two Proofs of Tennessee Residency with your name and resident address - NO P.O. BOXES (Documents must be current. Must be dated within the last 4 months.)
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or Proof of authorized stay or temporary legal presence in the United States
- A Social Security Number or sworn affidavit if no Social Security number has been issued.
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Tennessee
- Step 1. Surrender your out-of-state license at the time of application
- Step 2. Take a vision screening at the full-service driver service center.
- Step 3. If your license has expired for more than 6 months, you must take the knowledge exam, road skill test and vision screening.
- Step 4. All road skill test are scheduled by clicking this link https://dl.safety.tn.gov/_/
- Step 5. Pay the required Tennessee licensing fee of $19.50.
Caveats and Exception in Transferring your Out-of-State Driver License to Tennessee
- New residents or returning to Tennessee must obtain a drivers license no later than 30 days after establishing residency
More Tennessee DMV Questions?
📌 Visit our Tennessee DMV information page
📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge
📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)