✅ Updated March 2021
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to South Carolina
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to South Carolina. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Pennsylvania but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our South Carolina driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to South Carolina
- Proof of SC address(see below) required when applying for a license, beginner’s permit, or IDfor the first time; upgrading your credential such as an IDto a beginner’s permit or a beginner’s permit to a license; or when renewing a license,beginner’s permit, or IDthat is expired over nine months.6 CFR Section 37.11(f);SC Code Sections 56-1-40(7),-80(3).
- Proof of social security number or a letter from Social Security Administration stating you are not allowed to work in the US. 6 CFR Section 37.11(e);SC Code Section 56-1-90
- Proof of identity, date and place of birth, and authorized length of stay in the US(see specific requirements below).6 CFR Section 37.11(c), (d), (g);SC Code Sections 56-1-40(7), -80, -90.
- Legal documents supporting name change(s), if applicable (see specific requirements below).6 CFR Section 37.11(c)
- Automobile liability insurance information (not required for a beginner’s permit or ID) from an insurance company licensed to do business in SC.SC Code Section 56-1-80(C).
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to South Carolina
- Step 1: Surrender any driver’s license, beginner’s permit,or identification card issued by another state in the US.If a non-commercial license or IDwas lost or stolen, you must provide a certified copy of your driving record from the state that issued the license, beginner’s permit or identification card.However, a CDL holder must geta replacement license from his state of record and surrender it to SC.If you have a driver’s license or beginner’s permit issued by another country, it may need to be shown (not surrendered) as proof of prior driving experience.
- Step 2: Provide original (not photocopied)documents for each of the categories listed on this document unless otherwise stated.This list is subject to change at the SCDMV’s discretion.
- Step 3: Pass a vision test if applying for a first-time card.
- Step 4: Pass a knowledge and skills test unless you have a valid driving credential issued by a country that has established reciprocity with South Carolina. This is a requirement when a driver’s license is issued for the first-time and when renewing a license that has expired over nine months.
Need other South Carolina DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.