✅ Updated September 2020
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the South Carolina DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your South Carolina DMV Driver License
- Birth certificate
- Social security card
- Two proofs of address
- Insurance information
- Application for a Beginner's Permit, Driver's License, or Identification Card (SCDMV Form 447-NC)
- All eight-year licenses are $25.
If you are under 17, there are special requirements you must meet to apply for a Conditional Provisional or Special Restricted driver’s license, you must:
- Have an individual listed on the Consent for Minor (SCDMV Form 447-CM) sign your application.
- Practice driving with a licensed individual listed on the Consent for Minor (SCDMV Form 447-CM) for at least 40 hours, including 10 hours during darkness.
- Complete a driver’s education course.
- Hold a beginner’s permit for at least 180 days.
- Be currently enrolled in school.
- Conform to SC attendance laws and regulations. Not be suspended or expelled from school
South Carolina DMV Driver License: What You’ll Do
- Step 1: Beginner’s Permit - If you’ve never had a driver’s license, you must begin with a beginner’s permit.
- You must be at least 15 years old.
- You must pass the vision and knowledge test.
- Step 2: Pass the off-road maneuvers test (basic skills)
- Step 3: Schedule an appointment and Pass the road test
- Step 4: Picture is taken
Need other South Carolina DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
❗Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.