✅ Updated October 2021

Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Pennsylvania

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Pennsylvania. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared towards people who've moved to Pennsylvania but have a driver's license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Pennsylvania driver's license page.


What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Pennsylvania

  • Completed Application for Pennsylvania Non-Commercial Driver's License by Out-of-State Non CDL Driver (Form DL-180R)
    • Medical exam documentation (as required on form)
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of Pennsylvania residency (2 documents required):
    • Recent utility bill
    • Mortgage document or lease agreement
    • W-2 or W-9 form
  • Proof of Social Security number
  • Out-of-state driver’s license
  • $30.50 payment for Class C driver’s license fee


What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Pennsylvania

  • Step 1: Visit your nearest BMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
    • Submit the required documents & ID
    • Pass the vision test
    • Surrender your out-of-state license
    • Submit payment
    • Receive your temporary driver’s license
  • Step 2: Receive your Class C driver’s license via U.S. mail


Need other Pennsylvania DMV help for free?

📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*

*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.