✅ Updated September 2021
Ultimate guide to Registering your Vehicle in Pennsylvania
Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Pennsylvania. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in Pennsylvania
- Vehicle Sales and Use Tax Return/Application for Registration (Form MV-4ST) (not available online)
- Pennsylvania driver’s license or ID card
- Proof of Pennsylvania vehicle insurance
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin OR
- Existing vehicle title (in your name or signed over to you)
- Odometer disclosure statement (for vehicles purchased via private sale)
- Vehicle Identification Number verification
- Can be collected yourself using tracing paper and pencil on vehicle or by a certified inspection mechanic or notary public
- Proof of safety inspection (must be completed within 10 days of purchase or establishing residency in Pennsylvania)
- Proof of emissions inspection (if applicable)
- Existing license plates (if applicable)
- Lienholder information (if applicable)
- Payment (via check or money order payable to “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”)
- $37 registration fee
- $53 title fee ($78 with a lien recorded)
- 6% sales tax (7% in Allegheny County; 8% in Philadelphia)
- BMV transaction fee (if required)
What You’ll Do to Register your Vehicle in Pennsylvania
- Step 1: Visit your nearest BMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Submit the required payment
- Receive a temporary title and registration
- Step 2: Receive your vehicle’s title and registration via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions in Registering your Vehicle in Pennsylvania
- Check if your vehicle requires an emissions inspection: The Drive Clean Pennsylvania website lists the applicable counties.
- Did you purchase your vehicle for less than 80 percent of fair market value? Then you will need to submit a Motor Vehicle Verification of Fair Market Value by the Issuing Agent (Form MV-3).
Need other Pennsylvania DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.