Updated January 2021
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the Pennsylvania DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Pennsylvania DMV Driver License
You'll need the following documents to get your Pennsylvania driver's license:
- Completed Non-Commercial Learner’s Permit Application (Form DL-180)
- Medical exam documentation (as required on form)
- Proof of identity
- Proof of Pennsylvania residency (2 documents required):
- Recent utility bill
- Mortgage document or lease agreement
- W-2 or W-9 form
- Proof of Social Security number
- An accompanying licensed driver and vehicle with valid registration and insurance (for the road test)
- $35.50 payment for learner’s permit plus Class C driver’s license fee (via check or money order payable to “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”)
Pennsylvania DMV Driver License: What You’ll Do
- Step 1: Read the Pennsylvania Driver Manual and take online practice exams to prepare for the written test
- Step 2: Visit your nearest BMV office to obtain your Learner’s Permit (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Pass the written test
- Have your photo taken
- Submit payment
- Receive your Learner’s Permit (valid for 1 year)
- Step 3: Practice driving (accompanied by a licensed driver) to prepare for the road test
- Step 4: Schedule your road test online at the BMV website
- Step 5: Visit your BMV office on the day of the test
- Submit your Learner’s Permit, valid driver’s license of accompanying driver, and proof of registration and insurance for the vehicle
- If you need a car and driver, consider our car and driver road test concierge
- Pass the road test
- Receive your temporary driver’s license
- Step 6: Receive your new Class C driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Pennsylvania Driver License
- Under age 18? Then you will need to adhere to the Graduated Driver's License program, which requires first obtaining a Learner’s Permit plus provisional driver’s licenses.
Need other Pennsylvania DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.