✅ Updated December 2021
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Oregon
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Oregon. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Oregon but have a driver's license from another US state.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Oregon
- Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card (Form 735-173).
- Proof of your legal name
- Proof of your U.S. legal presence
- Your Social Security Number
- Proof of Oregon address
- Payment for the required fees.
- $60 for Driver’s license
- $23 for instruction permit
- $5 for knowledge test
- $9 for road test.
- Your out of state license
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Oregon
- Step 1. Study the Oregon Driver Manual.
- Step 2. Fill out the application for Driving Privileges or ID card with parent’s signature.
- Step 3. Take it to a local DMV office.
- Step 4. Submit all the requirements needed.
- Step 5. Surrender your out-of-state license.
- Step 5. Pass the vision test and knowledge test.
- Step 6. Call to schedule a drive test.
- Step 7. Pass the driving test.
- Step 8. Pay the applicable fees for $60.00
- Step 9. Have your photo taken.
- Step 10. Wait for your license in the mail.
Caveats and Exceptions to Transferring your Driver License to Oregon
- If your valid out-of-state driver's license has been expired for less than 1 year, the Oregon DMV may waive the driving test, which is otherwise required of first-time applicants.
- You must surrender your out-of-state driver's license upon application.
- Even if your out-of-state license is still valid, you'll need an Oregon driver's license if you're now officially a resident of the state. That means you're either:
- Located in Oregon for 6 months or more.
- Paying resident tuition fees.
More Oregon DMV Questions?
📌 Visit our Oregon DMV information page
📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge
📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)