Updated September 2020
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the Oklahaoma DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Oklahoma DMV Driver License
You'll need the following documents to get your Oklahoma driver's license:
- Provide Primary proof of Identification - usually a state-certified birth certificate.
- Your Social Security Number - if you have one.
- Any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc: These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name.
- If you are taking a driving test, you will need valid and current proof of automobile liability insurance.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you must bring documentation showing you meet the current enrollment or attendance requirements in a secondary or vocational technical school and that you have successfully passed the criterion - referenced reading test required for all eighth grade students (usually referred to as the school letter). If you cannot obtain a letter from an Oklahoma School, click here for a list of alternate documents. If you're under 18, you must have a Parent or Legal Guardian present.
Oklahoma DMV Driver License: What You’ll Do
- Step 1: Read the Oklahoma Driver Manual and take online practice exams to prepare for the written test
- Step 2: You must appear before a Driver License Examiner at one of these Driver Exam Site. (optional: make an appointment!)
- Step 3: Practice driving to prepare for the road test
- Step 4: Visit your preferred Driver Exam Site to take the road test (optional: make an appointment!)
- Pass the road test (Note: The Vehicle must have a current tag, valid insurance and pass a vehicle inspection.)
- Pay the applicable fee
- Wait for your license to be printed
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Oklahoma Driver License
- If you make an online appointment for the vision and written test you must make a separate appointment for the Skills (driving test)
- If you feel you are not ready for the skills test, you can get a Learner Permit after completing the vision test and written test. This will allow you to practice driving under the condition that a licensed operator who is age 21 or older, and who has had a license for at least two years, is in the front seat beside you.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must have a permit for 6 months from the issue date. Anyone over 18 who gets a permit must hold it for 30 days minimum.
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Oklahoma REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other Oklahoma DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.