Updated February 2020
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the Ohio DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get Your Ohio Driver License
You'll need the following documents to get your Ohio driver's license:
- Proof of full legal name and date of birth
- Proof of Social Security number
- Proof of legal presence in U.S.
- Proof of residency in Ohio
- Vehicle for road test
- $22 for Learner’s Permit fee
- $23 for Class D driver’s license fee (fee slightly reduced if under age 21)
Ohio DMV Driver License: What You’ll Do
- Step 1: Study for the written test by taking sample tests online
- Step 2: Visit your nearest BMV office to apply for your Learner’s Permit (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Pass the written test
- Complete a medical form
- Submit payment
- Receive your Learner’s Permit
- Step 3: Practice driving to prepare for the road test
- Step 4: Schedule a road test at your nearest Ohio Driver License Examination Station
- Pass the road test (optional: use our road test car and driver service)
- Step 5: Visit your nearest BMV office to obtain your driver’s license (optional: make an appointment!)
- Surrender your Learner’s Permit
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 6: Receive your Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Ohio Driver License
- Under age 18? Then you will need to complete a driver’s education program while you have your Learner’s Permit.
- Under age 21? Then your new driver’s license will expire on your 21st birthday.
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Ohio REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other Ohio DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
❗Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.