✅ Updated September 2021
Ultimate Guide to Transferring your Vehicle Title in New York
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your vehicle title at the New York DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Vehicle Title in New York
- Completed Application for Title (Form MV-82TON)
- Completed Statement of Transaction - Sale or Gift of Motor Vehicle, Trailer, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV), Vessel (Boat), or Snowmobile (Form DTF-802)
- Proof of identity and birth date, in accordance with NYS point system for identification (NYS identification point system)
- Vehicle title from the seller, including:
- Odometer disclosure statement
- Damage disclosure statement
- Seller’s signature
- Bill of sale, including:
- Vehicle year and make
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Date of sale
- The sale price of the vehicle
- Printed names of both buyer and seller
- Signatures of both buyer and seller
- Proof of vehicle insurance. Completed New York State Insurance Identification Card (Form FS-20)
- Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption - Title/Registration (Form DTF-803) (if you purchased your vehicle before moving to New York)
- Payment for applicable fees
- $50 for title fee
- Sales taxes, license plate fees, registration fees, and vehicle use taxes (if applicable)
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Vehicle Title in New York
Step 1: Visit your nearest DMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents and ID
- Submit the required payment (optional: estimate how much you will owe here)
- Receive a temporary vehicle title
Step 2: Receive your vehicle title via U.S. mail
Need other Texas DMV help?
We're here to help! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions we haven't answered here!
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 30 days free of Skip.