Updated January 2021

Ultimate Guide to Transferring your Driver License to New York

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license in New York. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. If you have a foreign or international license, check out our New York Driver License guide.


What You’ll Need to Transfer your Driver License to New York

📌 Completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44)

📌 Proof of identity and birth date, in accordance with NYS point system for identification (NYS identification point system)

📌 Social Security card OR letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration plus completed I-94 Form

📌 Out-of-state driver’s license

📌 Payment for applicable fees (determined based on age and location; view the fee schedule here)


What You’ll Do to Transfer your Driver License to New York

Step 1: Make an appointment to visit your nearest DMV office. 

  • Submit the required documents and identification
  • Pass a vision test
  • Submit payment
  • Receive a temporary, non-photo driver’s license

Step 2: Receive your new Class D NY driver’s license via U.S. mail in about two weeks


Caveats and Exceptions

Did your out-of-state license expire more than a year ago?  Then you will need to apply for a new NY driver’s license.


Need other New York DMV help?

We're here to help! Email us at [email protected] if you have questions we haven't answered here!

❗Pro-tip:  YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.

📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip.