Updated November 2020
Ultimate Guide to Renewing your New York Driver License
Here's the ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in New York. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Renew your New York Driver License
Proof of identity and birth date, in accordance with NYS point system for identification (NYS identification point system)
Proof of vision test
- $64.50 for driver’s license renewal fee
- $16 for Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District fee (if applicable)
If renewing your driver’s license in person or by mail...
Completed and signed driver’s license renewal notice OR
Completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44)
What You’ll Do to Renew your New York Driver License
To renew your driver’s license online...
Step 1: Complete a vision test
- Optional: utilize an optometrist who is registered with the DMV Online Vision Registry, such that your vision test results will automatically be sent to the DMV
Step 2: Visit the MyDMV portal
- Create an account
- Enter all required information and submit payment via credit card
Step 3: Receive your renewed Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within two weeks
To renew your driver’s license in person or by mail...
Step 1: Complete a vision test
- Have the optometrist complete a Vision Test Report (Form MV-619)
Step 2: Complete the Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44)
Step 3: Visit your nearest DMV office in person OR mail all required documentation plus payment to the address indicated on your driver’s license renewal notice
- Address check or money order to “Commissioner of Motor Vehicles”
Step 4: Receive your renewed Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within two weeks of the DMV’s “processing date” (not the same as the mailing date)
Caveats and Exceptions
- Never provided proof of your Social Security number to the DMV before? Then you will need to renew your driver’s license at the DMV in person.
- Has your address changed? Then you must first change your address on the MyDMV portal before you can complete the renewal process.
- Do you live in one of the following counties? Then you must pay the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District fee, which is assessed as $1 for every six months that your driver’s license is valid ($16 total for the 8-year period for which your license is renewed).
- Bronx County
- Kings County
- New York County
- Queens County
- Richmond County
- Dutchess County
- Nassau County
- Orange County
- Putnam County
- Rockland County
- Suffolk County
- Westchester County
Did your license expire more than two years ago? Then you will need to apply for a new driver’s license.
Need other New York DMV help?
We're here to help! Email us at [email protected] if you have questions we haven't answered here!
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 30 days free of Skip.