✅ Updated April 2021
Ultimate Guide to Registering your Vehicle in New York
Here's the ultimate guide to titling and registering your vehicle in New York. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in New York
Completed Vehicle Registration/Title Application (Form MV-82)
Proof of identity and birth date, in accordance with NYS point system for identification (NYS identification point system)
Proof of vehicle ownership
- Vehicle title (signed by previous owner, if applicable) OR
- Certified copy of vehicle title (if title held by lienholder)
Proof of vehicle insurance. Completed New York State Insurance Identification Card (Form FS-20)
Statement from lienholder (if applicable) on company letterhead that:
- Identifies the owner;
- Lists the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number; and
- Shows that the lienholder has possession of the original title and is aware that the owner of the vehicle is registering the vehicle in New York
$50 for title certificate fee, $25 for license plate fee, payment for registration fee (based on vehicle’s weight) and sales tax (if applicable). Determine the applicable fees and taxes here
Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption - Title/Registration (Form DTF-803) (if you purchased your vehicle before moving to New York)
If registering a dealership-purchased vehicle yourself...
- Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin
- Dealer’s bill of sale (Form MV-50)
- Proof of sales tax payment (if applicable)
If registering a vehicle purchased in a private sale...
- Bill of sale (signed by previous owner)
- Odometer and damage disclosure statements (completed on back of title)
- Completed Statement of Transaction - Sale or Gift of Motor Vehicle, Trailer, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV), Vessel (Boat), or Snowmobile (Form DTF-802)
You can also register your vehicle online in New York here.
What You’ll Do to Register your Vehicle in New York
If a dealership is registering your vehicle...
Step 1: Sit back and relax! Dealerships typically will submit all the required information to the DMV on your behalf, plus provide you with license plates and a temporary registration certificate, and ensure that the vehicle is inspected
- Pay a fee to the dealership for the registration set-up (if required by the dealer)
Step 2: Receive your vehicle title (if no lien) and registration via U.S. mail
If you are registering the vehicle yourself...
Step 1: Visit your nearest DMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents and ID
- Pay the applicable fees and taxes
- Receive an inspection extension sticker (if the vehicle was purchased via a private sale)
- Receive a temporary vehicle title (if purchased in full via a private sale) and registration
Step 2: Get your vehicle inspected within 10 days (if the vehicle was purchased via a private sale)
Step 3: Receive your vehicle title and registration via U.S. mail
More New York DMV Questions?
📌 Visit our New York DMV information page
📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge
📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.