✅ Updated July 2021
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to New Jersey
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to New Jersey. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to New Jersey but have a driver's license from another US state.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to New Jersey
- Proof of identity
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- Proof of U.S. citizenship OR legal presence in U.S.
- Payment for required fees
- $24 for Class D driver’s license fee
- $10 for a license transfer fee
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to New Jersey
- Step 1: Visit your nearest MVC office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 2: Receive your New Jersey Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions to Transferring your License to New Jersey
- Is your out-of-state license expired? Then you will need to pass the written and road tests.
- Under age 21? Then you will need to complete the Graduated Driver’s License program to obtain your New Jersey Class D driver’s license.
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our New Jersey REAL ID page to find out what is required.
More New Jersey DMV Questions?
📌 Visit our New Jersey DMV information page
📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge
📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)