✅ Updated September 2020
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to New Jersey
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to New Jersey. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to New Jersey but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our New Jersey driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to New Jersey
- Proof of identity
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- Proof of U.S. citizenship OR legal presence in U.S.
- Payment for required fees
- $24 for Class D driver’s license fee
- $10 for license transfer fee
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to New Jersey
- Step 1: Visit your nearest MVC office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 2: Receive your New Jersey Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions to Transferring your License to New Jersey
- Is your out-of-state license expired? Then you will need to pass the written and road tests.
- Under age 21? Then you will need to complete the Graduated Driver’s License program to obtain your New Jersey Class D driver’s license.
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our New Jersey REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other New Jersey DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.