Updated May 2021
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the Mississippi DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Mississippi Driver License
You'll need the following documents to get your Mississippi driver's license:
- A completed, signed Driver’s License Application Form (Form DL-41) - If you're under 17 years old, your parent or legal guardian must sign your form
- Social Security Card
- A state issued certified Birth Certificate - Must be original long form or a certified copy (No Photocopies Accepted)
- 2 Proof of Residency
- Electric or Water Bill
- Lease or Rent Agreement
- Car Tag Registration Permit
- Mortgage Papers
- Homestead Exemption Receipt
- Bank Statement with Physical Address (no blank checks accepted!)
- Notarized employer verification on their letterhead stating address of applicant (must include phone number)
- Mississippi license issued to parent or legal guardian when applicant is under 21 years of age
- Voter registration card with 911 address on it
- Certificate of School Attendance if younger than 18 - signed at your school (valid for 30 days only)
- Valid immigration papers and passport, Permanent resident card, or I-94 and passport (non-US citizens)
- Payment for license fee - cash, credit, or debit card only
What You’ll Do to Get your Mississippi Driver License
- Step 1: Visit any Mississippi Department of Public Safety (DPS) Office locations
- Step 2: Submit all the required documents
- Step 3: Apply for a Learner’s Permit - you have to take the following exams:
- Pass the Computerized Exam
- Pass the Vision Exam
- Step 4: Pay the Learner’s permit fee
- Step 5: Start practicing supervised driving for your road test - you'll be required to complete the 6 hours of dual driving instruction that is part of your driver education course - You must have held your permit for at least 6 months before upgrading it to a regular license
- Step 6: Apply in person in any Mississippi DPS locations
- Step 7: Pass the Driving Skills test
- Step 8: Pay the license fee
- Step 9: You will receive your regular driver’s license in the mail in about a week and will be valid for 4 years
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Pennsylvania Driver License
- If you're younger than 18 years old, you will need to complete the Graduated Driver's License (GDL) program
- Different license validity periods and fees apply for teen drivers
- All Original License or ID card MUST show a Certified State issued Birth Certificate (No Photocopies Accepted)
Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Mississippi REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other Mississippi DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.