✅ Updated February 2021

Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Minnesota

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Minnesota. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Pennsylvania but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Minnesota driver's license page.


What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Minnesota

  • Present proper identification
  • Present white and yellow copy of your successful test results
  • Present all other driver's licenses. Your license from your previous state of residence will be invalidated and returned to you. Licenses from another country are not invalidated as you may use them if you have dual citizenship.
  • Pass a vision check
  • Have a photo taken
  • Pay appropriate fees
  • Social Security number - Applicants for Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services cards are required to provide their Social Security number (SSN) on the application form. Applicants who have not been issued a SSN must certify that information on the form. Your Social Security number is private information that will be secure on the driver’s license information system and accessible only to those lawfully authorized to access it. Social Security numbers are not located on, or embedded in, driver’s licenses or identification cards.
  • Applicable Fee


What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Minnesota

  • Step 1: Complete a Minnesota driver’s license application and provide your social security number.
  • Step 2: Present one primary and one secondary form of identification
  • Step 3: Present your driver’s license from your previous state, this will be invalidated and returned to you if the road test is waived
  • Step 4: Provide proof of passing the appropriate testing requirements.
  • Step 5: Pass a vision screening and have a photo taken.
  • Step 6: Pay appropriate fees

Caveats and Exceptions

  • If you have a valid driver’s license from another U.S.state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American,Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Northern Mariana or Canada you must pass a knowledge test about Minnesota driving laws and regulations
  • If your license has expired for more than one year, you must also pass a skills test.
  • If you have moved from a country other than the ones listed above, you must pass both the knowledge and skills tests.

Need other Minnesota DMV help for free?

📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*

*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.