✅ Updated January 2021
Ultimate guide to Registering your Vehicle in Minnesota
Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Minnesota. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in Minnesota
- Proof of vehicle ownership, which is the current vehicle title (or, when the title is not available, the current registration card):
- If the title reflects a lien and it has been paid, you may submit a lien release at this time (Notification of Assignment – Release or Grant of Secured Interest (PS2017).
- Completed Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (PS2000). This form is also available at all motor vehicle Deputy Registrar Offices statewide.
- If the vehicle is under joint ownership, only one owner is required to sign the Minnesota application.
- You must record the current odometer reading on your vehicle.
- Identification Requirements
- Insurance Requirements
What You’ll Do to Register your Vehicle in Minnesota
- Step 1: New residents have 60 days after becoming a resident in which to register their passenger vehicle, motorcycle, utility trailer or house trailer, provided the registration displayed on the vehicle is current. If the registration is expired or if the vehicle is a commercial trailer or truck you must obtain registration immediately.
- Step 2: You will need to go to a Deputy Registrar Office to register your vehicle for the first time in Minnesota.
- Step 3: You will also need to present identification
- Step 4: The deputy registrar will issue you Minnesota license plates and registration stickers. Next year you will be able to renew the registration online.
Caveats and Exceptions
- If your registration expires before the 60-day grace period is up, you must obtain Minnesota registration at the time of expiration. If the registration currently displayed on the vehicle is expired, or if you had to surrender your license plates in your previous state of residency, you must apply for Minnesota registration immediately.
Need other Minnesota DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.