✅ Updated April 2021
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Michigan
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Michigan. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Michigan but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Michigan driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Michigan
- Proof of identity, Social Security number, legal presence in U.S., and residency in Michigan
- Out-of-state driver’s license
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Michigan
- Step 1: Visit your nearest SOS office to apply for your Class O driver’s license
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 2: Receive your Class O driver’s license via U.S. mail within 3 weeks
Caveats and Exceptions to Transfer your driver license to Michigan
- Did your out-of-state license expire more than 4 years ago? Then you will need to take the written and road tests.
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Michigan REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other Michigan DMV help for free?
📌 See ultimate free DMV guides from practice tests to renewals to registration on Skip
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.