Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the California DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need
📌 Completed Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form T20558) (if requesting replacement title by mail or in person)
📌 $25 for replacement title fee
What You’ll Do
To request a replacement title online...
- Step 1: Visit the RMV’s online portal for replacement titles and submit the following:
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Driver’s license number
- Current odometer reading
- $25 payment
- Step 2: Receive your replacement title via U.S. mail within 10 business days
To request a replacement title by mail or in person...
- Step 1: Complete the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form T20558)
- Step 2: Bring the completed application and $25 check to your nearest RMV office or mail to:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55885
Boston, MA 02205
- Step 3: Receive your replacement title via U.S. mail within 10 business days
Caveats and Exceptions
- Is your address on file with the RMV up-to-date? If not, you will need to change your address via the RMV’s online change-of-address system. The RMV will only mail a replacement title to your address on record.
- Is there a lien on your vehicle? You will not be able to receive a copy of the title unless your car loan is paid in full.
📌 Hit the blue chat button in the bottom corner! If we're not here we'll email you back as soon as possible!