✅ Updated January 2021
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Maryland
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Maryland. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Maryland but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Maryland driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Maryland
- Current out-of-state driver's license.
- Another form of identification.
- Proof of your Social Security number.
- Proof of your new residence with your new address.
- Pass a vision test.
- Payment for a new driver's license
- New Resident $42.00 to get into the system
- First time to get a Maryland driver’s as a resident ( $72.00 )
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Maryland
- Step 1. You must pass a vision test.
- Step 2.If you are exchanging an out-of-state license that has been expired for one (1) year or more, you are required to take the knowledge and skills tests.
- Step 3. If you are new to Maryland you must obtain your driver's license within 60 days.
- Step 4. Visit your local MD DMV office in person with the required documents and also surrender your out-of-state driver's license.
- Step 5. Get your temporary license.
Caveats and Exception to Transferring your Out-of-State Driver License to Maryland
- The Maryland Department of Transportation’s Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) is now printing/mailing one of the most secure driver’s licenses, learner’s permits and identification (ID) cards in the nation. All cards are now delivered through the mail within 4-7 business days.
- Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Maryland REAL ID [embedded link] page to find out what is required.
Need other Maryland DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.