✅ Updated July 2021
Ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in Maryland
Here's the ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in Maryland. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Renew your Maryland Driver License
- Proof of age and Identity
- U.S. Birth Certificate - original or certified copy
- U.S. Passport - valid or expired less than 5 years
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (U.S. DHS) Form N-565. Request a replacement:
- Proof of Social Security
- Original Social Security Card
- W-2 form (displaying your name and entire SSN)
- SSA-1099 (displaying your name and entire SSN)
- 2 Proofs of Residential address
- Maryland vehicle registration card or title
- Utility, telephone, or cable/satellite TV communications regarding account
- Property tax bill or receipt
What You’ll Do to Renew your Maryland Driver License
- Step 1. Visit the MVA website to renew your driver’s license.
- Step 2. Make sure you review the online document guide.
- Step 3. Submit the required documents depending on your eligibility.
- Step 4. Pay the fee - Standard is $72 valid for 9 yrs
- Step 5. Get your driver’s license.
Caveats and Exceptions to Renewing your Maryland Driver License
- All Maryland drivers who are eligible to renew online are also eligible to renew at an MDOT MVA Self-Serve Kiosk.
- The online document guide will help you with the important documents to bring. Also, you may schedule an online appointment to renew your license.
- In order to ensure delivery of your license prior to expiration, please submit your “mail in renewal” application at least 15 days before your license expires. If you find any errors in your information, you must visit an MDOT MVA office to renew in person.
- A temporary driver's license will be prorated depending on the length of your legal stay. Your Maryland driver's license will be valid for 8 years if you are over 21 years old. In some circumstances, however, your driver's license may only be valid for anywhere from 5 years up to 8 years.
Need other Maryland DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.