Updated October 2020
Ultimate guide to getting your drivers license in Maryland
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the Maryland DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Maryland DMV Driver License
- Current driver's license OR a certified driving record from your previous state.
- Prove your age and identity, with documents such as:
- Provide 2 documents to prove you are a Maryland resident, such as a:
- Utility bill.
- Bank statement.
- Mortgage agreement or rental contract.
- Pay the fee of $9 per year (your driver's license will be valid from 5 to 8 years).
What You’ll Do to Get your Maryland DMV Driver License
- Step 1. You must visit in person to your local MVA office
- Step 2. You must pass the vision test to acquire a Maryland driver’s license.
- Step 3. Prove your age and identity with these documents
- Step 4. Provide your Social Security Number
- Step 5. Provide 2 documents to prove you are a Maryland resident.
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Maryland Driver License
- If you're a new driver, you must participate in the Maryland MVA's rookie driver program, which has several stages:
- Learner's permit.
- Provisional license.
- Full driver's license.
- In Maryland, the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) requires you to complete their graduated licensing system (GLS) in order to obtain your new driver's license.
Need other Maryland DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.