✅ Updated January 2022

Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Louisiana

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Louisiana. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Louisiana but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Louisianadriver's license page.


What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Louisiana

  • Out-of-state driver license. 
  • Proof of Louisiana auto insurance
  • One primary document
    • Birth Certificate
    • Passport
    • Immigrants / non-immigrants
      • Permanent Resident Card (I-551)  
      • Department of Homeland Security Refugee travel document (I-571)
      • Department of Homeland Security Permit to reenter the United States (I-327)
  • One secondary document
    • Out-of-state or Out-of-country driver's license / identification card
      • DL or ID card issued by a state motor vehicle department with a photo that clearly identifies the individual.
      • An official driving record from the last state of issuance is required if the applicant has lost his out-of-state license
      • A foreign driver's license must be accompanied by proper immigration documents.
    • Social Security Number verification
      • Social security card
      • Official verification of the social security number from the Social Security Administration or verbal verification
    • Identification Card (with photo)
      • Louisiana college or university
      • Louisiana middle / high school
      • Employment ID card (major corporations, hospitals, governmental agencies)
      • ID cards issued by federal, state, local governmental agencies
      • LA Department of Public Safety & Corrections prison or parish ID card
      • TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential)
      • Employment Authorization Document I-766 issued by DHS
    • Educational diploma / certificate / license
      • High school, college or university  
      • High school year book photo 
      •  School records or at least 2 report cards from separate years
      • Original or certified professional degree or license  
      • Driver Education Certificate
    • Medical
      • Medicare / Medicaid card  
      • Medical eligibility card  
      • CDL Medical form / card  
      • Health insurance card
    • Miscellaneous documents
      • Original adoption papers  
      • Baptismal certificate
      • Original or certified copy of a marriage license or certificate of marriage issued by a county, parish or city in the US or an original or certified copy of a divorce from a county, parish or city in the US.  
      • Official deed or title to property in Louisiana, including burial plots.
      • Vehicle registration or certificate of title of vehicle in applicant's name.
      • Motor vehicle lien instrument
      • Local utility statements showing name and address of the applicant or a receipt indicating utilities have been turned on (i.e., phone, cable, electric, water, sewer)  
      • Insurance policy (health, home, life, auto)  
      • One-payroll stub (printed)  
      • W-2 forms for 2 years
    • Minors, 17 years of age or younger, must be accompanied by custodial parent or legal guardian with picture I.D. In case of joint custody, only domiciliary parent may sign.
    • completed Certificate of Required School Attendance obtained from your school
    • Fee of $36.25


What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Louisiana

  • Step 1: Visit your nearest LA OMV.
    • Submit the required documents & ID
  • Step 2: Surrender your out-of-state driver's license, present a driving record from your previous state, OR submit a clearance letter.
  • Step 3. Provide proof of Louisiana auto insurance (if you have a car registered in LA).
  • Step 4. Pass the vision test.
  • Step 5. Pay the fees.


Caveats and Exceptions to Transferring your Out-of-State Driver License in Louisiana

  • The requirements indicated above may be waived if the applicant has previously been issued a Louisiana license or identification card and it is available for review through the Office of Motor Vehicles database provided the applicant can be clearly identified when compared to the Louisiana license or identification card on file.
  • If the out-of-state photo license has been lost, an official driving record from the last issuance state must be provided. 
  • If you have a valid license you will not be required to take driver's education, the pre-licensing course, or any test except the vision test.
  • You will be issued a Louisiana license that is equivalent to the one you are surrendering from out of state.
  • Full time students living in Louisiana but maintaining out-of-state or out-of-country permanent residency, do not have to obtain a Louisiana license as long as full-time student status is in effect and the driver’s license is valid.
  • Military personnel and dependents assigned to Louisiana are not required to obtain a Louisiana license.
  • As a new Louisiana resident, you are required to transfer your out-of-state registration to Louisiana within 30 days.


Need other Louisiana DMV help for free?

📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*

*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.