Updated September 2020
Ultimate Guide to Replacing your Vehicle Title in Iowa
Here's the ultimate guide to replacing your vehicle title in Iowa. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. Check out our full Iowa DMV Help page.
What You’ll Need to Replace your Vehicle Title in Iowa
- Completed Application for Replacement of Iowa Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (Form 411003)
- Replacement fee of $25.00
What You’ll Do to Replace your Vehicle Title in Iowa
- Step 1: You need to appear in person in the County Treasurer’s Office where your title was first issued
- Step 2: Submit the completely filled-up Form 411003
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents
- Step 4: Pay the replacement fee
- Step 5: There is a waiting period of 5 days before you receive the duplicate of your title
Caveats and Exceptions to Transferring your Driver License in Iowa
- If your title lists more than a single owner connected by "and", "or", or "and/or", it is important to remember that all persons listed on the original title must sign the application for a duplicate title
- If you have an open lien on your vehicle, the lienholder must apply for the duplicate title or submit a notarized Cancellation of Security Interest (Form 411168) to the county treasurer's office
- There is a mandatory waiting period of 5 days to receive a duplicate IA vehicle title. This allows the Iowa Department of Transportation to verify the accuracy of the information on your application
Need other Iowa DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.