Updated May 2021
Ultimate guide to Registering your Vehicle in Iowa
Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Iowa. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in Iowa
- Completed Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration (Form 411007)
- Your current vehicle title
- Valid Iowa driver’s license
- A Bill of Sale - if purchased from a private party
- Accurate odometer reading / statement
- A damage disclosure statement (if applicable)
- Payment for the required fees
What You’ll Do to Register your Vehicle in Iowa
- Step 1: Visit your local County Treasurer’s Office
- Step 2: Complete an Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration (Form 411007)
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents
- Step 4: Pay the applicable registration fees
Caveats and Exceptions in Registering your Vehicle in Iowa
- Vehicle registration can only be completed in person at your Local Treasurer's office or satellite office – you cannot register your vehicle by mail or online
- Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle with the county treasurer's office in your county within 30 days from the date you establish residency
- In Iowa, vehicle registrations expire on the last day of your birth month
- In Iowa, some vehicles will pay a standardized registration fee, while others will pay registration fees based on a percentage of the vehicle price plus its weight
Need other Iowa DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.