Updated November 2021
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your Real ID at the Iowa DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need To Get your Iowa Real ID
- Proof of identity and date of birth
- Lawful U.S. presence - (for Non-U.S. born)
- Name Change documents - if applicable
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Residency and residential address in Iowa
- Payment for applicable fees
You may want to check this Build a Checklist from Iowa Department of Transportation to find out the exact acceptable documents
What You’ll Do to Get your Iowa Real ID
- Step 1: Visit your local IA DOT Office or your County Treasurer’s office
- Step 2: Present all the required documents
- Step 3: Pay all the applicable fees
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Iowa Real ID
- The REAL ID star indicates to officials and employees controlling access to federal facilities that require identification to enter, federally regulated commercial aircraft, and nuclear power facilities that the person holding the driver’s license or ID card established their identity, lawful status or presence, and residence in a manner that complied with the federal regulations
- REAL ID only affects use of a state-issued driver’s license or ID card for the purpose listed above (flying and entering specific Federal facilities)
- Real ID does not affect any other use of a driver’s license or ID card. The lack of a REAL ID star should not prevent use of a driver’s license or ID card for any other purpose
- If you’re renewing your license or ID, the renewal fee is the same. If you’re getting a replacement, the replacement fee is the same $10 required for any replacement or duplicate license or ID
- There are no tests or driving requirements to get a REAL ID license
- You only have to go through the REAL ID process one time
Need other Iowa DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.