Updated July 2021
Ultimate guide to getting your driver's license in Iowa
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the Iowa DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Iowa DMV Driver License
You'll need the following documents to get your Iowa driver's license:
- Proof of identity and date of birth
- Lawful U.S. presence - (for Non-U.S. born)
- Name Change documents - if applicable
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Residency
- Payment for applicable fees
You may want to check this Build a Checklist from Iowa Department of Transportation to find out the exact acceptable documents
What You’ll Do to Get your Iowa DMV Driver License
- Step 1: Read the Iowa Driver’s Manual and take the online practice exams to prepare for the written test
- A score of 80% or higher is needed for passing a passing score
- Step 2: Visit your local IA DOT Office or your County Treasurer’s office
- Step 3: Submit all the required documents
- Step 4: Pass all the applicable given test
- Vision Test
- Written Test
- Driving Test
- Step 5: Pay the applicable fees
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Iowa Driver License
- If you're younger than 18 years old, you will need to complete the Graduated Driver's License (GDL) program
- If you're not a U.S. citizen, you will only be eligible for an IA driver's license if your legal stay in the country is for at least 30 days. If you are authorized for employment, you MUST have a Social Security number (SSN)
- The length of your driver's license will depend on the length of your stay in the United States
- You will need to provide your own working and registered vehicle and have insurance coverage
Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Iowa REAL ID [embedded link] page to find out what is required.
Need other Iowa DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.