✅ Updated March 2021
Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Illinois
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Illinois. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Illinois but have a driver license from another US state. If you have an international license, visit our Illinois driver's license page.
What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Illinois
- Proof of identification
- Out-of-state driver’s license
- $30 payment for Class D driver’s license fee ($5 if 18-20 years old)
What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Illinois
- Step 1: Read the Illinois Driver Manual and take online practice exams to prepare for the written test (optional)
- Step 2: Visit your nearest Driver Services Facility (optional: make an appointment!)
- Present the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Pass the written test
- Surrender your out-of-state driver’s license
- Pay the required fee
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 3: Receive your Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Need other Illinois DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.