✅ Updated September 2020
Ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in Illinois
Here's the ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in Illinois. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Renew your Illinois Driver License
- 14-digit renewal authorization number (found on your renewal card)
- Your Social Security number, name, and date of birth (as listed on file with the Social Security Administration)
- $30 payment for Class D driver’s renewal license fee ($5 if 18-20 years old)
- $1.75 online renewal fee
What You’ll Do to Renew your Illinois Driver License
- Step 1: Visit the Illinois Secretary of State website
- Submit the required information
- Submit payment
- Step 2: Receive your renewed Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail within 15 business days
Caveats and Exceptions to Illinois Driver License Renewal
- You will need to visit the Illinois SOS in person if…
- You are under age 22
- Your driving record for the prior 4 years is not “clean” (free of accidents, moving violations, or points)
- Your driver’s license expired more than a year ago
- Have a different name or address? Then first you need to update your profile information on the Illinois Secretary of State website.
Need other Illinois DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.