✅ Updated December 2020
Ultimate guide to Registering your Vehicle in Georgia
Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Georgia. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in Georgia
- Completed Tag/Title Application (Form MV-1)
- Georgia driver’s license or state ID card
- Proof of Georgia residency
- Lease or mortgage statement;
- Utility bill dated within prior 2 years;
- Financial statement dated within prior 2 years;
- Pay stub with your address; OR
- School attendance certificate
- Proof of vehicle ownership
- Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (received from dealer and signed over to you);
- Previous owner’s vehicle title (signed over to you);
- Out-of-state title; OR
- Lien holder information (if title has a lien)
- Proof of vehicle insurance that meets Georgia state standards
- Proof of vehicle emissions inspection (if applicable)
- Payment for applicable fees and taxes
- $20 registration fee
- $18 title fee
- Title ad valorem tax (assessed based on the value of your vehicle)
What You’ll Do to Register your Vehicle in Georgia
- Step 1: Visit your nearest County Tag Office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Submit the required documents & ID
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary title and registration
- Step 2: Receive your Georgia vehicle title and registration via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions in Registering your Vehicle in Georgia
- Did you lease your vehicle? Then you will need to submit a completed Statement of Title Held by Lien holder, Security Interest Holder, or Leasing Company (Form T-17).
- Are you transferring your vehicle title from out-of-state? Then you will need to submit a completed Certification of Inspection by a Duly Constituted Georgia Law Enforcement Officer (Form T-22B) to verify your VIN.
- Do you reside in one of the following counties? Then your vehicle is required to pass an emissions inspection, unless it is 3 model years old or newer, or runs on alternative fuels.
- Cherokee County
- Clayton County
- Cobb County
- Coweta County
- DeKalb County
- Douglas County
- Fayette County
- Forsyth County
- Fulton County
- Gwinnett County
- Henry County
- Paulding County
- Rockdale Count
Need other Georgia DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.