Ultimate Guide to Getting your Driver License in Florida
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver license at the Florida DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Florida Driver License
Proof of identity, proof of Social Security number, proof of residential address (List of acceptable documents)
Certificate of completion for a Traffic Law & Substance Abuse Education Course (required for all new drivers)
Vehicle (for driving test) including proof of:
$48 for Class E driver’s license fee
What You’ll Do to Get your Florida Driver License
Step 1: Read the Florida Driver Manual to prepare for the written test; practice driving to prepare for the road test
Step 2: Complete a Traffic Law & Substance Abuse Education Course
Step 3: Visit your nearest DHSMV office (We can help you make an appointment here)
- Submit required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Pass the hearing test
- Pass the written test
- Pass the driving test (need a car and driver for your Florida road test?)
- Submit payment
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
Step 4: Receive your new Class E driver’s license via U.S. mail within 2-4 weeks
Caveats and Exceptions
- Failed the written test? Then you will need to pay a $10 fee to retake it on another day.
- Failed the driving test? Then you will need to pay a $20 fee to retake it on another day.
- Don’t have a Social Security number? Then you will need to provide a letter from the Social Security Administration and a secondary proof of identity.
- Under age 18? Then you need to complete the Graduated Driver’s License program, which requires first obtaining a Learner’s Permit and provisional license, to earn your Class E driver’s license.
Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Florida REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other Florida DMV help?
We're here to help! Email us at email@example.com if you have questions we haven't answered here!
Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.