✅ Updated July 2022

We have updated this page - visit the latest version here. 

Ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state driver's license to Connecticut

Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to Connecticut. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time. This page is geared toward people who've moved to Connecticut but have a driver's license from another US state.


What You’ll Need to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Connecticut

  • Your current driver's license -  It may not be expired for more than 2 years
  • Completely filled-up Application for a Non-Commercial Driver's License (R-229 Form)
  • (2) Proofs of identity - at least (1) from Primary Documents
  • Social Security Number
  • Proof of Residency
  • Legal Presence in the U.S. - (for Non-U.S. born)
  • Name Change documents (if applicable)
  • The application fee of $40 - see acceptable forms of payment
  • The license fee of $84 (If paying by check please bring two checks for this process)


What You’ll Do to Transfer your Out-of-State Driver License to Connecticut

  • Step 1: Visit any DMV Hub Offices or Enfield Office as this service is offered here only
  • Step 2: Submit all the required documents
  • Step 3: Take the vision test
    • Bring glasses or contact lenses if needed for testing
  • Step 4: Pay the applicable fees
  • Step 5: The Connecticut DMV mails all the License and ID cards. You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card
  • After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card


Caveats and Exceptions to Transferring your Out-of-State Driver License to Connecticut

  • Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 30 days to transfer your out-of-state license to Connecticut
  • If you are under 18 and have a driver's license from another state, you must complete additional special requirements. Please be aware of the passenger restrictions and other laws for newly licensed 16-and 17-year-olds. Connecticut does not accept a license issued to individuals who are under 16 years of age.
  • If your out-of-state license has expired for more than two years, you must obtain a Learner's Permit and you will be required to take an 8-hour safe driving practices course at a Connecticut-licensed driving school before taking a skills test at a DMV office
  • If you have lost your out-of-state license you will need to obtain a certified copy of your out-of-state driver history or abstract dated within 60 days. The previous licensing state will be notified of the issuance of the Connecticut license, and your previous state license will be canceled
  • Full-time students living in Connecticut but maintaining out-of-state or out-of-country permanent residency do not have to obtain a Connecticut license as long as full-time student status is in effect. Once full-time student status is terminated (according to school records), you have 30 days to obtain a Connecticut license.
  • Military personnel and dependents stationed in Connecticut are not required to obtain a Connecticut license.  For Connecticut license holders, please see Military Personnel Renewing their Connecticut Driver's License
  • Foreign travelers on a visitor's visa may operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for one year with a valid out of country license and an International Driver Permit which is obtained from their home country
  • A license from American Samoa, Guam, or U.S. Virgin Islands is the same as an out of state license (same requirements as above); however, you must obtain an abstract of your driver record from your home territory prior to transferring your license to Connecticut
    • The DMV will waive the requirement for an applicant to present an abstract when transferring a non-CDL license from Guam for active duty military personnel and their family members. The applicant's military identification or the family member's dependent identification must be shown
  • A license from Puerto Rico is the same as an out-of-state license (same requirements as above), however, the DMV office you visit will verify your Puerto Rico license with your home territory prior to transferring your Puerto Rico license to Connecticut. The DMV will notify you via mail of your Puerto Rico license status. The letter that you receive from the DMV will provide you with information on how to proceed with the licensing transaction


More Connecticut DMV Questions?

📌 Visit our Connecticut DMV information page

📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge

📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast

📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)