✅ Updated September 2021
Ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in Connecticut
Here's the ultimate guide to renewing your driver's license in Connecticut. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Renew your Connecticut Driver License
- Your Current License
- Your renewal application form that you received in the mail (if applicable)
- For “Verified” Renewal, you need to bring additional documents
- Primary and Secondary form of identification
- Social Security Number
- Proof of Residency
- The fee for a 6-year renewal costs $72, and an 8-year renewal costs $96 (see acceptable forms of payment)
What You’ll Do to Renew your Connecticut Driver License
- Step 1: Visit the nearest DMV office, participating AAA location, Milford or North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union offices, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) or West Haven City Hall
- Step 2: Submit all the required documents
- Step 3: Pay the applicable fees
- Step 4: The Connecticut DMV mails all the License and ID cards. You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card.
Caveats and Exceptions to Renewing your Connecticut Driver License
- AAA locations, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) and West Haven City Hall charge a convenience fee up to $8.00 per DMV transaction
- Individuals 65 years of age or older have the option of renewing their operator license for two years
- A $25 late fee will be charged for the renewal of an expired driver's license
- If you do not have your current license, you must present one form of acceptable identification from list of acceptable forms of identification
- If DMV does not have your image on file, you will be required to present two forms of identification from the acceptable forms of identification list
- AAA locations, Milford or North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union offices, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) and West Haven City Hall cannot renew a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or licenses with a public passenger endorsement
- If your driver's license has been expired two or more years, you will be required to complete all testing requirements again
- If your license is suspended here or in any other state, your license will not be renewed until your license privilege is restored
- If you are out of state/country or are incarcerated and need to renew your license, please see Requirements to Obtain a License Through the Mail for more information
Need a REAL ID? Then visit our Connecticut REAL ID page to find out what is required.
Need other Connecticut DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.