Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your vehicle title at the California DMV. We've simplified the entire process to save you time.
What You’ll Need To Bring
📌 Completed Verification of Vehicle (Form REG 31) form
📌 For out-of-state title transfers…
- Completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343)
- Out-of-state title and registration
- License plates (unless already expired, surrendered, or assigned to an interstate-registered vehicle)
- Weight certificate (for pick-up trucks)
- $21 for title fee
- Payment for registration fee (use the DMV’s registration fee calculator to determine the amount)
📌 For ownership transfers…
- Bill of sale
- Existing title from seller (including seller’s signature and any applicable lien releases)
- Odometer disclosure (found on back of title; for vehicles less than 10 years old)
- Payment for $15 title transfer fee and applicable use tax fees
What You’ll Need To Do
- Step 1: Obtain a smog inspection certificate
- Step 2: Obtain a completed Verification of Vehicle (Form REG 31) form to prove the legality of your vehicle’s VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). Your vehicle can be verified by any one of the following:
- DMV employee (optional: make an appointment!)
- CA-licensed vehicle verifier
- Certified auto club employee
- California law enforcement or peace officer
- Step 3: Visit your nearest DMV office (optional: make an appointment!)
- Present the required documents and ID
- Receive your CA vehicle title
- Step 4: Hit the road and drive!
Caveats and Exceptions
Request this full checklist, including caveats and exceptions, for free by email:
📌 Hit the blue chat button in the bottom corner! If we're not here we'll email you back as soon as possible!
📌 Looking for real-time DMV wait times in California?
📌 Need a DMV appointment fast?