Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a California driver license. We've simplified the entire process to save you time.


What You’ll Need To Bring

📌 Debit card or cash to make $36 payment

📌 Proof of your Social Security number (Social Security card or Military ID)

📌 Proof of your birth date and legal presence (U.S. passport or birth certificate)

📌 Proof of your California residency

  • Mortgage bill;
  • Utility bill; OR
  • Rental or lease agreement signed by your landlord

📌 A valid out-of-state driver’s license


What You’ll Need To Do

  1. Make an appointment for earlier than 4:30 pm at your nearest DMV office
  2. Fill out the Driver License or Identification Card Application (form DL 44 - now available online!) for a Class C (non-commercial) driver’s license
  3. Prepare for the written test by completing a practice exam
  4. Provide required identification documents
  5. Complete the vision and written tests (not administered later than 4:30pm)
  6. Have thumbprint and ID photo taken
  7. Pay $36 fee (cash, check or debit card)
  8. Receive a temporary license that is valid for 90 days
  9. Receive your new CA license via U.S. mail (within a few weeks)


Caveats and Exceptions

  • Is your license from abroad?  If you have a non-US driving license, you'll have to take the road test, aka the behind-the-wheel test as well. This concierge service can help you with that. 

Request this full checklist, including other caveats and exceptions, for free by email:


More Questions?

📌 Looking for real-time DMV wait times in California?

📌 Pro-tip: Need a DMV appointment fast? Check our our express DMV appointment service.