Updated September 2020
Here's the ultimate guide to transferring your out-of-state license to a California driver license. This is specifically if you have a US driver's license from another state and want to change it to California driver license. If you have a driver license from another country, check out getting a driver's license in California.
What You’ll Need Transfer your Driver License to California
Debit card or cash to make $36 payment
Proof of your Social Security number (Social Security card or Military ID)
Proof of your birth date and legal presence (U.S. passport or birth certificate)
Proof of your California residency
- Mortgage bill;
- Utility bill; OR
- Rental or lease agreement signed by your landlord
A valid out-of-state driver’s license
What You’ll Need To Do
- Make an appointment for earlier than 4:30 pm at your nearest DMV office
- Fill out the Driver License or Identification Card Application (form DL 44 - now available online!) for a Class C (non-commercial) driver’s license
- Prepare for the written test by completing a practice exam
- Provide required identification documents
- Complete the vision and written tests (not administered later than 4:30pm)
- Have thumbprint and ID photo taken
- Pay $36 fee (cash, check or debit card)
- Receive a temporary license that is valid for 90 days
- Receive your new CA license via U.S. mail (within a few weeks)
Caveats and Exceptions
- Is your license from abroad? If you have a non-US driving license, you'll have to take the road test, aka the behind-the-wheel test as well. This concierge service can help you with that.
Visit our California DMV information page.
Looking for real-time DMV wait times in California?
In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip.