✅ Updated October 2020
Ultimate guide to Registering your Vehicle in Alabama
Here's the ultimate guide to registering your vehicle in Alabama. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Register your Vehicle in Alabama
Title transfer in Alabama
- Have the seller complete the title assignment on the title certificate.
- Obtain a bill of sale from the seller.
- Payment for the title fees, to your county license plate issuing office.
New-to-state Title transfer
- Current out-of-state title.
- If your current state was not required to issue a title for your car, you can bring in the vehicle registration certificate as proof of ownership.
- An auto title transfer fee.
- Have your vehicle with you, as it may be subject to vehicle identification number or VIN.
Register an out-of-state vehicle (non leased)
- Vehicle title
- Current out-of-state vehicle registration.
- Registration fee.
Register vehicles purchased from dealer
- Completed title
- If a title is not required you must bring and only a registration is issued:
- Bill of sale with itemized sales tax information.
- A dealer’s affidavit, if the dealership is in another state.
- A VIN/Ownership documentation inspection.
- A valid Alabama DL proving residence in the county where you are registering the vehicle.
- Proof of insurance, if the licensing office cannot confirm your insurance online.
- Any license plates you may wish to transfer to the new vehicle.
- An odometer disclosure statement for vehicles less than 10 years old and less than 16,000 lbs.
- Payment for all applicable fees.
Register vehicles purchased from private party
- Properly completed title from the previous owner.
- Vehicles with out-of-state titles will also need to have a VIN/Ownership Documentation Inspection done.
- License plates you wish to transfer them to the new vehicle.
- Your Alabama driver's license showing proof of residency in the county of registration.
- Proof of insurance if the licensing office cannot confirm your insurance online.
- Most recent registration documents for the purchased vehicle.
- Payment for all applicable fees
- Power of attorney form from the leasing company allowing you to register the vehicle (for leased vehicle).
- A copy of the lease agreement for the vehicle (for leased vehicle).
What You’ll Do to Register your Vehicle in Alabama
New-to-state Title transfer
- Step 1: Visit your county license plate issuing office. You can also apply for a title online.
- Step 2: Submit your documentation.
- Step 3: Pay an auto title transfer fee.
- Step 4: Submit your car for vehicle identification number inspection, if necessary.
- Step 5: Proceed to vehicle registration
Register your vehicle
- Step 1: You must first apply for the Alabama title.
- Step 2. Provide your proof of Alabama Car insurance in order to register your vehicle.
- Step 3: Submit all the documents mentioned above.
- Step 4: Complete a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
- Step 5: Pay all the applicable fees.
- Step 6: You will receive your license plate and registration sticker when you complete your Alabama vehicle registration.
Caveats and Exceptions in Registering your Vehicle in Alabama
- If you brought your out-of state car with you, you must have it registered in Alabama within 30 days of your move. You will need at an MVD office in person with your current certificate, registration and payment for registration fees.
- Alabama does not require emissions inspections to register your vehicle.
- Alabama Registration fee schedule.
- Members of any of the Armed Forces branches stationed in Alabama are not required to register their vehicle(s) with the Alabama Motor Vehicle Division as long as you have a current registration in your home state and valid insurance
- RVs and motor homes are registered the same way as standard cars and trucks; the difference falls in the fees, which vary based on your motor home's weight.
Need other Alabama DMV help for free?
📌 Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.