Updated October 2020
Ultimate guide to getting your Real ID or Star ID in Alabama
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your Real ID at the Alabama DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need To Get your Alabama Real ID
- Verify identity/date of birth by providing one of the following:
- Valid, unexpired United States Passport.
- Certified birth certificate
- Consular report of birth abroad (Form -240, DS-1350, or FS-545)
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) issued by the Department of Homeland and Security (DHS) or Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).
- Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) issued by DHS (Form I-766 or Form I-688B).
- Unexpired Foreign Passport with a valid, unexpired U.S Visa affixed, accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the United States.
- Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS (Form N550 or N-570).
- Certificate of Citizenship issued by DHS (Form N-560 or N-561).
- Proof of Social Security number by providing one of the following:
- Social Security Card
- United States Military Form DD 214
- Medicare/Medicaid Identification Card (if SSN is followed by the letter A)
- W-2 Tax Form
- Proof of address for the principal residence by providing any two of the following:
- Voter Registration Card
- Residential Mortgage Contract
- Current Lease or Rental agreement for housing
- Proof of payment of residential property tax (Homestead)
- Previous year tax returns bearing applicants address
- Vehicle registration bearing applicant's name and address
- Utility bill (Water, Gas, or Electric) less than 90 days old
- Any State or Federal Court documents indicating residence address
- School enrollment documentation
- Defense Department Form 214 (Report of Separation)
- Sex offender registration documents
- Current Homeowners insurance policy with name and address
- Social Security benefits statements/summary mailed to physical address
- U.S. or State Government check or other document mailed to applicants physical address
- Military Orders documenting duty stations and place of residence.
What You’ll Do to Get your Alabama Real ID
- Step 1. Visit an Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Driver’s License office.
- Step 2: If you are renewing your license and want to upgrade your license to a Star ID, just present the Documents stated above.
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Alabama Real ID
- Teen drivers are eligible for Alabama’s STAR ID no matter what stage of the GDL they’re in.
- Only ALEA-run Driver License Examining Offices are authorized to issue an individual's first STAR ID. After that you can renew online.
Need other Alabama DMV help for free?
Get unlimited DMV appointments and DMV chat support with a 15 days free of Skip*
*15 days free using above invite link, this week only.
❗Pro-tip: YoGov can help you get your US driving license! Book a Road Test Concierge car and driver to help you pass your road test.