✅ Updated January 2022
Here's the ultimate guide to getting your driver's license at the Illinois DMV. We've simplified the entire process for you so you can save time.
What You’ll Need to Get your Illinois DMV Driver License
You'll need the following documents to get your Illinois driver's license:
- Proof of identification
- $30 payment for Class D driver’s license fee ($5 if 18-20 years old)
Illinois DMV Driver License: What You’ll Do
- Step 1: Read the Illinois Driver Manual and take online practice exams to prepare for the written test (optional)
- Step 2: Visit your nearest Driver Services Facility (optional: make an appointment!)
- Present the required documents & ID
- Pass the vision test
- Pass the written test
- Pass the road test (road test car and driver service available)
- Pay the required fee
- Receive a temporary driver’s license
- Step 3: Receive your Class D driver’s license via U.S. mail
Caveats and Exceptions to Getting your Illinois Driver License
- Need to practice driving before the road test? Then you first will need to apply for a Learner’s Permit.
- Under age 18? Then you will need to adhere to the Graduated Driver's License program, which requires first attending Driver’s Education and obtaining a Learner’s Permit.
- Age 18-20? Then you will need to complete an Adult Driver Education course before you may take the road test.
- Failed the written or road test? You will have two more attempts to pass within a year.
More Illinois Questions?
📌 Visit our Illinois DMV information page
📌 Skip the DMV line! Get a line waiting concierge
📌 In a hurry? Get a DMV appointment fast
📌 Get all of this info for free on the Skip app (get $10 credit for the app with this link)